Monday, January 18, 2010

Response to Rudyard Kipling's The White Man's Burden

Half-child, half-devil? Who are you talking about? It certainly can’t be us, because we did not end up on another person’s land in weird attire suddenly telling them to listen to us. The only people who I know can be half- devil are you white men! Who do you think you are, God? What do you think, you were given the power to come and “fix” us? You are not fixing us, you are just ruining us. If I came to your land and told you it was wrong to wear those foolish garments and grow a mustache, would you listen to me and stop doing what you did? I don’t think so, so why should I follow your dumb rules? I don’t understand why making us like you is your duty. I think your duty is just to live your way, and let us live our way. You cannot make me believe that what religion you practice is right, because I believe mine is, and I cannot make you believe that your religion is wrong either. Listen, Mr. White Guy, I think it’s just best for you to go away from here, because we don’t really want you. We are never going to accept your ways of living, so no need to try. Don’t treat us as children who are forced to obey their parents. We are not your children, or little brothers. We don’t need you; we just need you to go away. The way we live is the way we want to live. We don’t like your fancy stuff, if you believe that’s what it is. We are happy with our simple life, unlike you people who want more. I want you to know that we are not your burden. You yourself are making us your burden. Don’t send your children to teach us about your medicine, law, and religion, because when they die, we will be the ones blamed. Guess what? I have already lost so many of my close ones; I can’t even imagine where they have been sent, what they must be doing. How is sending my family away from me helping me? You know what I don’t get? You call us savages, yet you want to come into the savage land and try to “save” these savages. Go live in your own world with no savages. Isn’t that better? But let me just tell you. Your world is also full of savages. You have those modern maxim guns. That’s great, but you know what? Those things kill people, and that’s just savagely. Once again, please leave us alone. You will get fed up of trying. We are not listening to you. You can’t destroy us, no matter what you have. Just leave.

Sandhya Parwani 10C

No comments:

Post a Comment