Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My Dearest Della by Shira Hebel

My Dearest Della, (Stephan)
It has been a year since I last saw you. I still remember the beautiful summer we spent at your parents’ farm. I remember you running around and giggling. Every time that I miss you I think back to that summer and how happy we were. New York was treating me very well. I wish I could have stayed with you my love, but I had no choice but to go back and take care of my business. As you know what is going in our country is very unfortunate. I, along with my two brothers was called to fight for the Union. Darling, I wish I could have said no but in times like these we all have to stay united and strong and fight for our believes. I hope though that even though we are on opposite sides you still love me and you haven't changed your mind about marrying me. When I heard that South Carolina has decided to leave the Union I knew that I would once be closer to you. Unfortunately for a very unfortunate reason. As you know I as all citizens of this country wish we could have solved all our problems by just talking and negotiating. It seems though that this conflict won’t be solved easily. As you know we are now in the beginning of what seems to be a war, a war between two sides. Two sides that are exactly the same but yet so different. Daring, I wish we could have been both on the same side but I know what your father thinks of president Lincoln. Yesterday as my brother and I were about to go to bed he whispered to me “ED, the war has began.” I jsut nodded agreeing with him. A few hours later we learnt that he was completely right. We saw no one as we marched out of Fort Moultrie just after sunset on December 26, 1860, and made our way through the tiny town of Moultrie Ville, to the sea wall where our bobbing boats were moored. We sure knew it was only a matter of time before South Carolina asserted its claim to Fort Moultrie and the other forts guarding the approaches to Charleston Harbor. The decision to abandon Fort Moultrie and withdraw its garrison to the more defensible Fort Sumter had not been an easy one for the fort’s commander, Major Robert Anderson. Although he was a Kentuckian he was supporting our great Union and had taken command of Fort Moultrie only a month ago. Our arrival to the Fort certainly took the occupants of the fort by surprise. The civilian workmen at Fort Sumter were just settling down for the evening when we appeared at their door. It seemed that we were much more organized then the other side. We wasted no time securing our hold on the fort. There was no doubt that there were many people loyal to the fort working there but it was our job to get them away from there. We gave no parleying, no explaining; nothing but stern commands, silent astonishment, and prompt obedience. We on the other hand, were well-protected in the fort. The only problem we face was that we could only hold out as long as our supplies lasted. We had one month’s supply of hospital stores and about four months’ supply of provisions. If we were to hold the fort for long against the Southerners, we would soon have to receive supplies and reinforcements. Just as we thought we could keep the fort under peace we were attacked. For once in my life I was really scared. I am also very tired and very hungry. According to my brothers I have lost a lot of pounds. What keeps me in line is you. Della my love I still have the dream of marrying you. When this war is all over you and I are going to get married in a field of flower like we always wanted to.
Love,
Edward (Shira)

No comments:

Post a Comment