Monday, November 23, 2009

April 5th, 1862 [Night before Shiloh Battle]

Dear Kelly,


As promised I’m writing you this letter. It’s hard to believe that they’ve separated us, from our homes to the battlefield, on opposing teams. I’m not sure which is worse. It’s been two days since I’ve been placed into the Army of the Mississippi; strangely enough I’ve only had one night of no sleep. Of course, knowing me I got up from my spot and walked around, I even counted all of my fellow army members. It was a long walk but in the end I ended up counting around 44,968 people, including myself. Big army huh? I bet my army is bigger than yours too.


Anyways, enough about that, today I was honoured to meet the two greatest leaders of all time. They share my views regarding the treatment given by the Northerners concerning the taxes. They also completely agreed with me when I told them that we should keep slavery around. Funnily enough we even talked politics, every time I talked to you about politics you called me stupid for saying it wasn’t fair on us Southerners, looks like I WAS right. Oh yeah, I bet you’re wondering what the names of my ah-mazing leaders are. Well their names are: General Albert Sidney Johnston and General P.G.T Beauregard. They also gave me a Colt Navy Model 1861 and a Starr Revolver (.44 Calibre), amazing pistols. But you can’t tell anyone about the Starr Revolver, apparently those are smuggled into the Confederate side, I trust you! OH OH OH. Also, apart from those two pistols, they gave me a M1860 Spencer Repeating Carbine, it’s a 7 shot rim fire that loaded by magazine.


As I’ve told you, I could not sleep the first night what-so-ever. Either I miss home or it’s just not the same. Our uniforms are grey, which my mum had to make at home for me before I left; I hope it’ll keep me warm enough. No one in the army has shoes, nor do I, so I don’t feel left out, but my feet hurt a lot, and it might get cold and everything... oh my goodness. Our food isn’t exactly luxurious, it’s pretty small but I suppose it’s doable. I just hope that being a Confederate soldier will toughen me up, it’ll toughen me up more then you with your little luxurious dinners with the Union soldiers.

You might not agree with me here, but boy oh boy, I do really think that the Union states are stupid for not just agreeing with us Confederates. Just because they think that they can take over in the politics, and tax us, and then take away our slaves, doesn’t mean that we’re going to agree with them just because they say so. Who do they think they are? I would NOT what-so-ever want to fight on different sides. You little spoiled Union soldiers, just watch out, we’re going to fight for what we deserve.


Those black people aren't even worth the money that we pay for at the markets, and then you guys are saying that they are humans too? Get real, we're the only humans out there. Whatever, right now I'm just too angry and upset to get my feelings together. Besides, the camp is getting pretty restless, apperntly there is some surprise attack supposed to be coming up tomorrow... whoops, didn't mean that bit. Well, yeah.. gotta go! Gotta check my guns, etc for war! I'll write again soon, you write back! (:



Lots of love and I hope to see you alive and well soon!
Sara
Aka the South Rebel.

No comments:

Post a Comment