Tuesday, November 24, 2009

American Civil War Letter - The First Bull Run

July 25, 1861
Dear Friend,
I have been asked to fight on the confederate side of the state. Sadly enough, we’re not on the same sides so I guess that that means we won’t be hanging out for that time. Our army has about 500,000 to 2,000,000 men fighting in this war. We use all kinds of weapons. The officials and Generals usually walk around with their swords. We have our guns and canons. The officials are: President Jefferson Davis, General Samuel Cooper, and General Robert E. Lee.

As a confederate, I have to fight with African-American slaves. As soldiers, we wear this blue-gray suit that has some yellow on it as well. We all wear this cap and the officials wear their fancy hats. I also have to wear boots. As you know, getting the soldiers fed is the responsibility of the Commissary Department. I’ve been eating a lot of Jonnie Cake and I try to eat fruits and nuts. Until now, I sleep ok. It’s not the best. I sleep in this little dorm together with eight other soldiers. I’ve heard that in the winter months it will be horrible. Apparently people loose their fingers and toes.

I hate the fact that we have to fight a war. I don’t get why we can’t just be UNITED. I do however agree that the Union state shouldn’t try to rule us. I mean, it’s not fair that we have to pay so many taxes on so many products that we don’t even want anyways. If I could choose, I would choose to end the war right now.

Your friend,
Stephanie v. R.
10b

No comments:

Post a Comment