Sunday, December 13, 2009

Shamila Kohestani by Himangi (10C)

Shamila Kohestani walked out of her house at age 14, wearing a burkha for the first time in her life. As she walked out of the house, a man from the Taliban approached her and told her that the front part of her body was not covered properly, and so he decided to whip her. That day she ran away, and decided the future of her life. She had secretly received an education and had a passion for soccer. She practiced and worked hard and reached a great level of success. She is now the captain of the girls’ soccer team of Afghanistan.

Her ambition was her strength throughout this journey. She created a dangerous situation into an opportunity to get away, and even find her way. She allowed her dreams to come true, no matter what came in her way.

After this story I realize that history class is true sometimes. Improvisation is important. Who would think of running away at a point when they were getting whipped? I learnt some things from her that I will keep to myself for the rest of my life. Maybe I’m not exactly putting it into action, but I’m thinking about it and it’s starting to bring a change in my thoughts. After reading this story I actually ask myself, “What’s my purpose on this planet?” What’s my ambition? My dream? I am at a point in my life, where I have to start thinking and give my decision in a short period.

What’s inspiring is that she kept her ambition and aim so strong that nothing could break it. She had a clear aim and worked hard to get what she dreamt of. I hope that I can do so one day. Just follow what Himangi wants to do and not worry about what everyone tells me to do. It strengthens the “Feminazi” within me because I feel like I don’t have to follow what society tells me to. I can live my life the way I want to and make a brighter future. I hope that what I say is what I do. I hope to let my passion, ambition, and dream be what I do in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment