Wednesday, December 2, 2009

First Battle of Bull Run (Aakash D. 10B)

Dear Brother,

I just got back to Jackson, Ohio after our bloody encounter at Fairfax Count and Prince William County, Virginia. My birthday was on July 21, and what a bloody birthday. The amount of men killed, both from our side and yours. I really didn’t expect you and the Confederates to bust our behinds in this war. However, I am very grateful that I came back with just a few scars on my body. I guess these scars will be a reminder to me of this war; a birthday gift. I’m glad I didn’t have to face you off on the field. I saw you running around stabbing a few people with your musket; you looked like a mad dog. I guess we underestimated you guys. Your commanders, Joseph E. Johnston and P.G.T. Beauregrad, really outsmarted us.

We had you guys on the leash when it was just Commander McDowell against Beauregrad. The moment Johnston arrived from the Shenandoah Valley by railroad, the whole course of the battle changed. Running out with your muskets and loading off your cannons; scary image, mate.

I’m sure you already know about this, but Commander Irvin McDowell brought about 28,000 to 35,000 units. From what I heard, you guys brought 32,000 to 34,000 units. However, we didn’t use all of them. We just used 18,000 just like you guys. We lost 2,896 men; brave men.

McDowell was not the greatest of leaders. He never really trained us. He just threw muskets and blades at us and said get ready to fight. He never cared for us either. He wasn’t really fond of me either because there was this once when I back answered him. He burned my entire hand. Luckily, I can still use my hand.

Being a soldier of the Union isn’t great being led by him. I would honestly switch sides just because of that reason. However, I believe that fighting for the abolishment of slavery is very important; it is what I believe in. The only reason why I would switch sides it because I don’t feel like a soldier under McDowell, I feel like a hooligan.

By the way, how’s the food over there? I keep eating this crappy food which really tastes like cardboard. I really hope you actually get some good food to eat; if not, hopefully as bad as mine because it is only fair. I had to sleep on a rock, or like just pile up a whole bunch of grass and sleep on it. It is really damn uncomfortable. Majority of the times ants are running all over me when I am sleeping.

I hope everything is well with you, brother. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Leqwayne Davids

No comments:

Post a Comment