Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I am a ten year old!

We may have discussed many times what it means to be human. No matter how much we try answering it, we still keep thinking, what does it mean to be human? As much as I believe that being human means helping, I believe being human means culture, traditions, and values. Being human is made up of all of this. One destructive part about being human is greed and selfishness. If humans were able to get rid of that, groups such as the United Nations wouldn't be needed.

The British rule over India has many different aspects to it. Yes, Britain helped make India industrialized, nationalist, and got rid of many of the ridiculous traditions, but did Britain have the right? Maybe my belief is biased. But I feel the same about every region they conquered. I feel that Britain or any other power has no right to change another cultures values, morals, and traditions.

Yes the caste system created divisions in the society in India. The British wanted to bring equality into the society. If I may ask, what kind of equality was it to be making someone work for you, taking all the profits, and fooling them about giving them equality? Is that not hypocritical to some extent? Is that fair? They took all of the profits of these people that worked so hard for them, and gave them much less than what they deserved. By taking away their caste system, they think they payed back for it? They have no right to do so. Whether you talk about in Africa, India, or Latin America, was it ever right for the British to change the values and traditions of the natives? I firmly do not believe so. Even if that makes you think I am a ten year old.

-Himangi Bhavnani

No comments:

Post a Comment